Transforming the heart of the home into a functional, stylish space for cooking, entertaining, eating and relaxing is usually at the top of a home owner’s wish list. Before you begin, consider these essentials to plan the kitchen of your dreams.
WORKING WITH YOUR DESIGNER
Every kitchen designer works a bit differently to achieve a design that’s unique to your needs and your home, but there are some basic tasks that you can undertake which will help them deliver the perfect design.Work through the following list to really get to know your needs, wants and desires before making your first design appointment.
ESTABLISH A BUDGET:
A kitchen can cost anywhere between $15,000 to $100,000 so your designer will need to know how much you want to spend, so as to guide you toward products and finishes that won’t blow the budget.
KNOW YOUR STYLE:
Decide which style you like best – the warmth of a traditional/country style with lots of timber and brass; a colourful, contemporary look using glass splashbacks and benchtops; a slick commercial look with loads of stainless steel and brushed concrete; or the luxe-look of cool stone benchtops and crafted cabinetry?
Create a folder using pictures from magazines and brochures that show your favourite layouts, colours and appliances – not forgetting the flooring – and make a list of things you both like and dislike about the current room.
Because the kitchen is the place where family and guests always tend to gather, you will need to consider your lifestyle requirements and tailor the design to your needsDo you entertain frequently? Formal or informal?
- Do you entertain frequently? Formal or informal?Do you need in-kitchen dining or an island bench where guests can eat or gather to chat?
- Do you need in-kitchen dining or an island bench where guests can eat or gather to chat?
- Do you need access to pass food to your outdoor area?
- Do you require space for wine storage?
- How tall is the primary cook? Right or left handed? These are important considerations and dictate the height of bench tops and placement of appliances.
- Do you need a walk-in pantry to store bulk produce?
- Do you need a separate preparation area?
- Will the laundry be combined with the kitchen?
- Does any family member have special needs? The more information you can give your designer the easier their job and the higher your satisfaction will be.
For further help turn to our Queensland Homes directory of kitchen experts.
Feature image credit: by Vintec
Creating your dream bathroom or kitchen is easy with our comprehensive directory of bathroom and kitchen designers and specialists.